Friday, November 6, 2009

The Bent Spoon artisan ice cream and good ingredient bakery



Ice Cream has always been an important part of my life. Of course I consume more in the warm summer months, but I would never say no to a good ice cream no matter the weather. A sighting of The Bent Spoon at the October New Amsterdam Market at the old Fulton Fish Market site prompted a visit to Princeton. In the time it takes to fly to Miami all I got was a lousy ice cream cone you say? On the contrary, I got to see my younger sister and one of my beautiful nephews, and also had the great pleasure of delicious artisan ice cream!

Although I have been to The Bent Spoon on many occasions, this time I was on the hunt for the pumpkin mascarpone ice cream with cacao nibs which I had sadly missed at the market. All the ice cream, which is a hybrid of french custard (eggs yolks are used) and gelato, is made from mostly organic ingredients and all hormone free dairy which is procured at local farms.

I had a cup of the above mentioned pumpkin mascarpone (served this day without the cacao nibs), double dark chocolate, and NJ honey. The ice cream has a very smooth consistency and leaves a pleasant feel in your mouth. Many ice creams are over churned, and can leave an unpleasant residue in your mouth, but not so here. The ice creams were all very creamy with bold flavors. The honey was pronounced but not too sweet. the chocolate was dark and intense, and the pumpkin had flavors of pumpkin pie spices which played well together like a good string quartet, each spice balancing its partner in intensity.

Well worth the trip to Princeton! The Bent Spoon will be back at the New Amsterdam Market this Sunday, November 22, 2009!

The Bent Spoon
35 Palmer Sq W
Princeton, NJ 08542-3711
(609) 924-2368
thebentspoon@verizon.net
Email for questions and hours of operation

No comments:

Post a Comment